Sunday, December 21, 2014

Quote-A-Day: Day 356

We need to take time off so we can do our best with our time when we're on.      

Tomorrow my wife and I are taking a day for ourselves.  My wife is now off for two weeks (she goes back to school on January 5th), and I'm taking a day off on Monday.  My wife and I are taking a one-night getaway; my parents have been gracious enough to watch our two girls for a night.

We're not doing anything amazing or spectacular, but we are going to enjoy roughly twenty-four hours to just focus on each other, and just as importantly, ourselves.

There is a need to take time off from the excellent work that we do.  Our minds, our bodies, and our relationships all need a recharge from time-to-time.  We're only as good as when we're at our worst, so we need to set the bar really high for our worst, if we're to be exceptional leaders and learners.

A large part of setting the bar high comes from having the energy and willpower to handle anything (or just about anything).  And to do that, we need to make sure we take enough time to recharge our batteries, and along with that, we need to take a little "I" time.  

There is nothing "wrong" or "unprofessional" about needing a break every now and then.  In fact, I would go so far as to say that taking time is a very professional move.  It shows an understanding of the human condition, and the importance of "disconnecting" from one's role at regular intervals.

When we take time off, we're actually providing ourselves with an opportunity to do our best when we're back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment