Saturday, December 27, 2014

Quote-A-Day: Day 362

It's better to be told the power of what you've accomplished than to be the one doing the telling.

This morning, during an excellent conversation on thoughts for the new year during #satchathack, I had an interesting revelation.

Over the course of this last year, I've been writing these daily posts, tied to a quote I've put together.  Throughout my life and career, I've often found myself using the quotes of others, and in thinking about this last December 31st, I wanted to be the creator of a bunch of quotes that others could use, if they were so inclined (not saying the quotes are any good, by the way :) ).

I also wanted to strengthen my writing, and one of the best ways to do this is to simply write more.  I had started a blog a number of years back, and felt this was a good way to resurrect it.

So, I began this #QuoteADay blog, and as of today, I'm just a few days from completing my goal of a year of quotes/blog posts.

This has been a challenging feat for me, and one that I believe has drastically helped my writing.  That being said, I haven't thought of it as being extremely powerful or out of the ordinary.

That is, until a number of folks (both friends and acquaintances) have mentioned what a big deal it is.
I've had the chance to chat with a number of folks who have tried monthly and weekly blogs only to find they couldn't make the time, or couldn't think of topics that worked.

In no way does that say what I've done is special, but it does make me think that 365 blog posts in a year was a great challenge for me to take on (i.e. it was a tough goal, but one that could be met) and will be a nice achievement (assuming I finish up the next few days).

This also made me reflect on another important point for leaders:

It is better to be told of the power of what you've accomplished then to go around bragging about it to others.  I'm happy to share the blogging work I've done, but will only do so when the conversation moves towards long-term blogging.  I rarely bring it up outside of those circumstances, and usually just tweet it out once a day, in the event where anyone might be interested.

Sure I could do more self-promotion, but for what?  The purpose of the blog was, and is, to share, not smother, and as such, if only a few people find out about it, but find out somewhat organically, then I've done a better job as a leader than if I would have forced it down the throats of others.

As leaders, we're doing the best job when our work is discovered organically, or so I think.  What do you think (assuming someone is actually reading this :) )?

No comments:

Post a Comment