Sunday, April 20, 2014

Quote-A-Day: 110

Some days are . Some days are . Your job is to make every day .

Every day has its own rhythm.  Some days are fast while other days are slow.  We never know what a day is going to be like until we experience it.  At times, this labeling of "fast" and "slow" deals with the actual speed of the day and how quick it feels.  At other points, it deals more with the amount of "work" that is accomplished.

As an example, I was off from work on Friday, and it was a fairly slow day.  I took my daughter in to daycare, brought one of our cars in for an oil change, did a bit of writing, and then basically relaxed.

Yesterday, on the other hand, was the complete opposite.  I did some work in the morning, took my oldest daughter food shopping, went out and leased a new car, took the family to the Botanical Gardens in the Bronx for the orchid show, went to dinner at an excellent Greek restaurant, stopped for ice cream, and then went home.

Friday was slow, Saturday was fast.  But, what is more important than these labels is the fact that I made both days count.

We know what it feels like when a day counts.  We enjoy knowing that we've had a successful day, and we tend to wonder about ways to make those days that are less than successful more efficient.  Whether a lot or a little is actually "accomplished" on any given day doesn't detract from its potential for success.  Instead, we have to ask ourselves if the day really "mattered."  If we can honestly say that each and every day of our lives has counted, then we have accomplished more than we could have ever dreamed of.

I'm happy to say that Friday and Saturday did count for me, and I'm hopeful that today (Sunday) will count as well.  But, i would be lying if I wrote that I feel this way about every day of my life.  There have been some days where I've wondered about what has taken place, and whether the day really made a difference.

I think this is normal.  Sometimes we experience the days we want to leave behind, and sometimes, no matter how much we reflect, we can't seem to find much benefit in those days.  But those days need to be a lesson for us, a lesson that shows that while we can't have a perfect day everyday, we can keep striving for days that are always better and even more meaningful, than the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment