Monday, April 28, 2014

Quote-A-Day: Day 118

There are no people, only smart behaviors.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a smart person.

But, I do believe I exhibit some pretty smart behaviors.

One piece we have to remember is that even the "smartest" people receive that label because along with an inborn intelligence that we all possess, they have learned how to utilize behaviors and actions to propel themselves further.

We're all different, but we all have the capacity to be successful (even though success may look different for some).

Looking at others as "smart" or "not smart" is a mindset thing.  If we believe that some are just born smarter, we're exhibiting the fixed mindset that we know is damaging for learning and growing.

If, however, we focus instead on the fact that we are all "smart" in our own way, and what separates us is how well we exhibit smart behaviors, then we're putting the onus on the actions we take, and not the people we are.

It's that shift, that movement towards "smart" being about a set of actions (rather than just "being") that I truly believe helps define what learning should be about (and just as importantly, who we are as people).

My daughter turns four today.  I want her to believe that she isn't just "smart."  Instead, I want her to know that she can exhibit either smart or less smart behaviors, and it is that choice, that will allow her to be as successful as she wants to be (Happy Birthday Sydney. :) ).

No comments:

Post a Comment