Monday, April 14, 2014

Quote-A-Day: Day 104

is like the ocean. Even at its most turbulent times, you can't ignore its beauty.

As the temperature warms, I start to think of being by the water.  I spent a good portion of my early life living close to the beach, and I think I tend to gravitate more towards natural water than that of the man-made variety.  I like to boat, scuba dive, and snorkel, and for me, water and the surrounding coastline is very beautiful, indeed.

So, it's not a stretch for me to connect my love of the water with my love for what I do.  To me, being in a leadership role is akin to being on the ocean.  You don't always know what the day will bring, but regardless of whether calm or rocky, it is still beautiful.

Being in any type of leadership role must be difficult, and being an educator certainly isn't easy.  Yet, just like when out on the open water, we start our days with a safety check to make sure everything is running smoothly, and even when we relax, we always keep an eye on our direction, tank pressure, and proximity to shore.

At the calmest times, nothing beats the feeling of being an educational leader.  During the most rocky phases, we batten down the hatches and ride out the storm, as the alternative would be far worse.  When the storm subsides, we assess the damage and rebuild.

I've had a few mishaps on the water.  Happily, nothing that has led to any serious injury.  The same goes for my work as an educational leader.  Even with those mishaps in mind, I can't take my eyes off the way the sun reflects on the water, just as much as I can't separate myself from the learning and leading I do every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment