Thursday, January 9, 2014

Quote-A-Day: Day 9

The best spend more time than they do . The growth of others is tied to our own .

As leaders, it is of the utmost importance that we keep learning.  Sometimes time isn't on our side.  We can feel like we spend all our time putting out external fires, and little to no time kindling the internal fire that keeps us going.  The importance of continuing to grow as a learner can't be exaggerated.  In a world that is anything but stagnant, the best leaders understand that they need to keep moving forward if they hope to have others walk alongside them.  An effective leader finds ways to avoid being mired in wholly extrinsic pursuits, knowing that only by constantly learning can a person truly lead.

For me, this quote is a reminder that every day I have to make the time to learn something new.  Whether taking thirty minutes to read from a book, spend time with my wife and children, go for a walk, or chat on Twitter, my goal during those time periods is to do whatever I can to learn as much as I can.  It isn't always easy, but it is always necessary.  Luckily for me, there's a lot I don't know, and millions of opportunities to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment