Monday, July 28, 2014

Quote-A-Day: Day 209

When you can't think of anything else to say, don't say anything. Instead, just listen. #QuoteADay #Day209 #edchat #edu

 I have a problem (well, a few, actually). 

But here’s one: I talk a lot, and I like to talk.  At times, I can talk too much.

This year, I’ve made it my business to spend more time monitoring my own airtime, and doing what I can to make sure others monitor their own as well. 

This hasn’t been particularly easy for me, but I’ve seen the positives of this already. 

For one, simply by monitoring my own airtime, I’m spending more time listening to others which has helped me become a better leader and learner in general.  In addition, I’ve been able to strengthen my listening skills and become a more effective participant in conversations (yes, simply by remembering to keep my mouth shut J). 

A second benefit has been that I actually have realized that sometimes you can say just as much by saying nothing at all.  This has been humbling for me, as it has made me wonder if all my talking in the past has really been necessary, or if I could have saved thousands of words and still got the same point across.  In many cases, I think so.


I’m going to end the post here, simply to monitor my airtime.  I hope that for those of you who are like me, and love to talk (and sometimes, like me, hear yourself talk), you’ll consider the power of reducing your voice (and your word count).  It’s been wonderful for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment