Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Quote-A-Day: Day 246

It's rarely about being right, but always about being real. #QuoteADay #Day246 #edchat #edu #ASCDL2L #BFC530

Being right means very little to me.  Sure, I enjoy being correct as much as the next person, but it really isn’t an important aspect of the work I do.  If anything, being wrong actually seems to lend itself to more learning (at least as far as I’ve discovered), so, most times, I would rather be wrong than be right.

But none of that really matters, because the most important part of the work we do isn’t about being right, but rather about being real.

I’ve had the opportunity to think a lot about being real these last few weeks, and as I’ve gotten progressively older in years and more experienced in life, I’ve found myself being much less concerned with painting a picture that others “want” to see, and more concerned with embracing who I really am as a learner, leader, and person.

The way I see it, if we’re real, and if we represent ourselves as we really are, then we don’t have to worry that much about whether we’re right or not.  Simply by being real, we’ve shown that we are who we are, we know what we know, and we’ve laid our cards on the table for all to see.

If there is one tremendous lesson that I’ve learned throughout my work as an educator (and a parent, for that matter), it is that you won’t be remembered for the great answer you gave, or how much you know.  But, you will be remembered for who you are, how you depict yourself, and how you relate to others.

The point?  We need to always remember what’s important, and keep in mind that being real will always trump being right.

No comments:

Post a Comment