Sunday, September 7, 2014

Quote-A-Day: Day 251

The only true sign of "failure" is giving up.

This morning I spent about three hours taking down  a chandelier, and then installing a new light.  To say it was a challenge would be putting it lightly.

Taking the chandelier down was actually fairly easy.  In fact, it took me little-to-no time to do, and once the chandelier came down, I assumed that it was going to be smooth sailing.

Unfortunately, I was totally wrong.  The new light was a beast to put together, and once it was up, working out the wiring, which should have been incredibly easy, was incredibly tough.

I enjoy doing work around the house, but this work, this work was incredibly challenging, and incredibly frustrating.

There were a number of times where I truly wanted to give up, where I wanted to throw my hands up and say, "Forget it."  But, giving up is the only time when failure is actually a bad thing, and I would rather see myself succeed over a very long time, then walk away and "fail" in a negative way.

We need to make sure that in all that we do, we're never giving up.  That doesn't mean that we have to do everything by ourselves.  But, it does mean that when we encounter those challenges we can't handle on our own, we need to make sure that we're asking for assistance,

The other option, simply giving up, isn't really an option at all.

How can we hope to ever succeed if we just stop trying?

No comments:

Post a Comment