Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Quote-A-Day: Day 317

Even the most #connected #leaders need to disconnect, from time-to-time. #QuoteADay #Day317 #edchat #edu #edtech #Disconnect

I would consider myself a connected leader; maybe not as connected as I could be, but certainly well-connected nonetheless.

And yet, even the most well-connected leader needs to unplug from time-to-time, and disconnect, if for no other reason than to reflect and spend a little time with him/herself.

Being connected doesn’t just have to mean being connected in a tech vein.  Rather, it means having networks built that allow one to continue to lead and learn, and to do so in such a way that answers (and therefore more questions) can be found efficiently.

I enjoy being connected, but I also find it powerful to unplug.  At my most connected moment, I am often learning and leading so fast that I don’t have time to stop and think.  Only when I truly unplug am I most effective at reflecting on what I’ve learned, and the leadership actions I’ve taken.

The best leaders are connected and disconnected seamlessly.  In fact, I envision it somewhat like the motion of electrons in an alternating current; simply moving back-and-forth constantly.  This “dynamic equilibrium” (I was a science teacher previously J ), is necessary for us, as it allows us to stay connected while also taking a step back.

The world moves fast, and so do the actions we take for those we serve.  Yet, we have to be able to step back every so often and go off the grid.  Only then do we realize the true benefit that the grid offers (and the necessity of stepping back and seeing the big picture).

No comments:

Post a Comment