Saturday, November 29, 2014

Quote-A-Day: Day 334

It isn't the fault of the media for info overload. Rather, it is our fault for not knowing how to manage it.   

This morning, as I was sitting in the gym parking lot, I had the opportunity to engage in #satchathack. I only was able to stay for the first two questions, however, as I was answering them, they made me consider the issue of information overload, and how best to deal with it.

As I was talking to other leaders and learners, I started to think about the fact that information has always been out there; it's just our access to it that has changed over the last thirty years. We are now much more capable of retrieving and evaluating information than we were in the past.

The difference is that we still have the same amount of time to do this collecting and evaluating, making it that much harder to truly tell whether the information we're receiving is true, false, or something in-between.

Information overload isn't the fault of the media though.  After all, the media is just doing what it has been doing for decades.  However, despite having much more access to "news," we haven't necessarily become better at managing this access.

And that's where the problem lies.

In order to be the best we can at leading and learning, we need to make sure that we look at information for what it is, simply words, pictures, and noise, until it can be validated.

Regardless of the source, I choose to never believe "news" I come across, unless I can validate it from multiple sources.  After all, with so much information at our fingertips, this multiple confirmation is actually easier, right?

So, why not do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment